Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding: Co-Effiecents

In a message dated 11/4/99 1:04:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
markezan@logan.net writes:

> Does anyone know what the standard is for the number of generations to
> include in a breeding
>  co-efficient calculation?  Also, has anyone used the built in calculation
> with TBS?

I've found 10 generations is a good number of gens to use.  It gives a more
accurate picture than less than 10 gens, but doesn't take too long to compute
in CompuPed. I also have TBS, and it takes much longer to compute.
Additionally, CompuPed uses Wright's standard formula, and TBS I believe uses
a slightly different formula (there are three different formulas in use
apparently to compute COI, but Wright's formula is most commonly used.)  TBS
COI results also come out a couple points different than CompuPed, in my
experience.  I no longer use TBS to compute COIs, I do this only in CompuPed
because it is more efficient and results more standard for use in comparison
to others' data.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com