Re: [PyrNet-L] shock collars and walking off lead

Jaime, this is a lot like the problem we are having with the new
neighbors dog rushing in to our four as we walk at night.  In the
beginning ours would just ignore the snarling and growling attack, and
keep walking.  As it kept up, they would try to turn  (we would just keep
plowing on ) and then go ahead and walk.  Toward the end they were
spinning to confront.  I'm also torn.  On the one hand I think it might
teach the fool dog a lesson, and I do think he would back and run.  But I
don't want mine to think it is ok to then go after every dog, and of
course, if push came to shove, what would the legal aspects be?  The last
time my hubby landed a lucky kick, and the surprised dog did take off.  I
don't kow if there is a good solution ( besides the neighbors keeping
their dog confined and not allowed to run loose ) to this.  In our case I
like that our dogs will basically walk past lesser type dogs.  There is a
Mastiff down in the end yard that upsets Ranger more than any other dog,
and we have to make some corrections and use voice controls too, when we
go by.  I appreciate that he is in his yard, and I don't know what to
think if he were to get out.  Only that his people pay attention and get
out there and put him in when he barks that much.  I guess the bottom
line for us is not wanting ours to get in the habit of having to be
aggressive toward other dogs, but I would not rule out the fact that at
some point that is all you can do.  In this case we have reports in at
animal control, and it gives us some backing, if this ever should happen.
 How about it gang...more ideas?
Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com