Re: [PyrNet-L] shock collars and walking off lead -Reply

Hi all,
    Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth on the shock/pinch
collar issue.  Many (many, many) years ago my husband and I were members
of  the first ever all-Great Pyrenees obedience team.  Due to the fact
that our team was filmed and that film was distributed world-wide by the
international film exchange, we received lots of  mail from people with
training problems with their Pyrs.  One thing that became apparent very
soon was that people who used the harsher methods of training were much
more likely to have dogs that showed agression towards their trainers.
I even had a small instance of such behavior when I tried a pinch collar
on my very laid-back and slow-moving Pyr.  After a couple of quick
jerks, that dog ( who was the mildest mannered dog), turned around and
snarled and snapped at me.  I stopped using the collar, began using
liver and we went on to earn a CD and train for Open.  Our trainer at
the time put forth the theory that Pyrs are bred to think on their own
and guard livestock without help from their masters.  Consequently, they
would be smart enough not to put up with pain.  One thing that seems to
go along with this is theory is the many reports of Pyrs that become
agressive towards anyone or anything that crosses an underground
electric fence line (association of pain w. danger ?).
Charlotte