Re: [PyrNet-L] Leashes in mouths

<<I've always been told that the leash is an extension of your arm. When
they bite the leash they are biting you. I never allowed biting of the leash
or biting or mouthing any human, but I never had a real problem dog as far
as this was concerned. Any opinions from you trainers out there on this?
Tracy?>>Barb Bowes

The leash issue is sometimes a hard call.  It all depends how you use it of
course.  Mostly I agree with you and will try to discourage leash-grabbing
by dogs, particularly in companion-owner classes and puppy classes.  In
these cases I would instead encourage focus on an alternative item like a
toy, or teach a 'no-bite' with praise and motivation for no biting and
jumping etc etc.  On the other side of the coin, a lead can be used as a
'motivator' when used correctly for an obedience dog ect.  Of course the
lead quickly comes off in obedience so ceases to be really useful.
Interestingly enough, their is another motivator you can use that most
people don't even think about, and that is the collar!  Had a seminar here
last year by trainer John Rogerson from the UK.  He uses the collar as a
motivator and 'tug toy' etc for his dogs!  Make sense really, what other
reward can the dog carry with it into the ring!!!! LOL!

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm