Re(2): [PyrNet-L] shock collars and walking off lead

srwhitney@earthlink.net writes:
>I was glad you made this point.  We considered  using a pinch collar with
>our
>wolfhound during his rebellious adolescent period and we were told that
>you
>must never give a correction with a pinch collar, which can be dangerous.
> The
>dog's pulling gives it the correction and it is within the dog's power to
>stop
>it.
The other point our trainer makes is to only use the minimum size of prong
necessary to control the dog. Despite paddington's huge coat, we only use
the medium size prong collar--the prongs aren't long enough to ever get
through his fur to the skin, and he never pulls now when he has it on.
Shelley, on the other hand, if she really wanted to get at something,
pulled as if it was a regular buckle collar. We gave up using one on her,
because she was usually very easy to walk. I wouldn't use one at all
except that there are so many dogs, many of them big ones that I'm not
sure of, in our neighborhood, and I don't want Paddy to start (or
participate) in something. His behavior is strictly dominance, but if we
meet another big dog that won't back down I don't want to put him at risk.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose