Re: [PyrNet-L] Barking

In a message dated 11/17/99 10:10:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wetheri@emmanuel.edu writes:

<< I might be tempted to try one of those that
 releases a citrus odor.  >>

    I used one that sent out a high pitched signal when the dog barked
steadily, it had no affect on her but the other dogs would whine and run away
from her. Our male would get nowhere close to her, it was quite cute, his
reaction. Well, anyhow it did not work. I think one of the problems with a
shock collar, is that you would have to hit the dog everytime it barked. If
you are not there and he barks then he can't be corrected, so I don't see how
one would work. I find training animals that you have to be consist with the
correction. I don't think a dog would figure out when it is allowed to bark
and when it is not. Personally, I wouldn't use a shock collar on mine, I
would find another means of training. The one that we had that barked all the
time, by the way, we found out she does not bark as long as there is a light
on outside where she is. We just gave her a separate pen with a run-in
building and it solved the problem. I would also go to a citrus collar or
something else instead of a shock collar........Debbie and the Pyr gang.