Re: [PyrNet-L] Barking

Actually most people on the list don't seem to be overly impressed with
invisible fencing.  The general consensus being the dog moves over the
line too quickly, and on a heavy coated dog like the Pyr., probably
ignores the jolt.  I don't find they work well on much of any thing if
the ones in our neighborhood are any indication. So I can say, I don't
think much of them as a fencing system.  On the other hand though, when
the dog runs through the fence, he/she is  still the one  shocking
him/her self.  On a shock collar used purely for controlling every
undesirable habit the dog has that the human doesn't like, it becomes
something akin  to a torture device.  With that human actively zapping
the dog.  This is where the difference of opinions  came about in the
last discussion.  Some will use it as an easy fix to using a more complex
method of actually working with the dog to re-direct a behavior, or
accepting that some things will always be in the nature of the dog or
breed and making adjustments.  This was pretty much the way the whole
thing was left during the last run at the shock collar.  You may use it,
but you can't expect everyone to consider it humane.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka