Re: [PyrNet-L] Working/Show Pyrenees en Guarde!

    I know what you mean, Beverly.  I show but believe that the original
purpose of the breed is most important.  At the moment we have one sheep
(getting more), chickens, horses, etc. that the Pyrs love and protect.  We
show regularly (not too often) and love it but I've seen what you're talking
about.
    My male's breeders, Gloria and Phillip Stubenrauch of Staranch in
Washington State work their dogs as well.  Their Pyrs guard llamas and goats
as well as show.  Moses' (my male) Grandsire is Ch. Karolaska STA Kooler
Bear who's sire is Ch. Karolaska Bristol Bay HOF/HOF.  The Staranch and from
what I understand the Karolaska Pyrs are very fit for working and do have
the classic Pyr type (Moses also has Quibbletown which is very good, Rajah
is pretty much Quibbletown and Karolaska in her base but not as quickly
traced to them).  But I know I've seen some kennel's Pyrs (not naming any
names) who are basically big pretty fluff balls.  In my opinion, the
classic----truly beautiful Pyr must also be working quality.  We should all
remember the original purpose of the breed and stick to keeping it that way.
    I've seen some things that have happened to many of the sporting breeds
(the differences between the "field" and "show" dogs) and it's sad.  I own
Cocker Spaniels (American) as well and for awhile (before I got into them)
that breed had suffered from temperament problems, mouths being too small,
etc.  When the fancy finally noticed that the breed wasn't able to do it's
original job and be a family pet, they began working on fixing the problems.
Now, after several years, the breed in general is now suited to hunting and
being with children as well as look nice in the show ring.  We do not want
these misfortunes to happen to the Pyr....I think everyone will agree.

Chrissy
Rajah and Moses
West Union, WV
dsmith@iolinc.net