[PyrNet-L] Re: choosing a pyr

As a kid I always wanted a big bearlike dog, dreaming of a saint bernard or a newf, those were the more common of the giant breeds. But when I got old enough to get a dog for myself and looked more into it, I prefered the look of the pyr. I did not want a heavy dog, and more than anything I did not want a dog that drooled or had loose eyes. Some pyrenees seemed to have that combination of elegance and bearlikeness that I like.
I went to a show to look more closely, and one dog really stood out for me, a very elegant young male. Surprisingly - because this was very unusual at that time - he had the "french" look that I still admire so much. I know today that he had a very good head, but at that time I did not know what was correct or not, all I knew was, that this was a kind of dog that I wanted with very tight lips and eyes. Even more surprisingly he was the father of the only puppy available at that time. And it was a male just like I wanted. So of course I bought him - my beloved Sandy - who did not grow up to resemble his father, but was beautyfull in his own way. And he did have nice tight eyes and did not drool much. You can see him in my homepage at: http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/

Lene