Re: [PyrNet-L] giant breed?

--- AMOMKate@aol.com wrote:
> I am so full of questions...and here's another ;-) I
> wonder why GPs are
> grouped with giant breeds. It seems that their
> standard calls for a dog
> considerably smaller than, say, a Newf or Mastiff or
> Great Dane....

    I've sort of wondered about the standard myself.
I'm not looking for show dogs, and tend to choose mine
from working parents but they are pretty big compared
to the standard.  The standard calls for a maxiumum
height of 32 inches for a dog.  Jake, at 11 months and
having just hit another growth spurt, stands 30.5
inches.  He is still a good deal smaller then his
father.  In fact, most of the people who have seen
pyrs before, and around here that usually means
working pyrs, comment that Jake is tiny, at least
until they realize he is still young.
    My male pyrs do stand almost as tall as female
danes.  They aren't as big as mastiff's though.  My
neighbors have a Brazilian Mastiff who is THE BIGGEST
dog I've ever seen.  At 7 months that dog weight 116
pounds.  That is more dog then even I'm willing to
live with.

> Also, are the Kuvasz and GP related? How are they
> alike/different? They
> certainly resemble one another in pictures...

      Kuvasz are usually smaller and appear more
delicate at least to me.  They are both life stock
guardians, but Kuvasz are from Hungary (I think, I'm
remembering the country right.)

>                  Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,