Re: [PyrNet-L] giant breed?

Katie, the size thing is a six of one, half dozen of the other.  At the
low end, they are really not giants, but large breed/large end especially
weight.  At the upper 30" and up range, with weights over 100 lbs. they
are giants.  Another thing to remember, weights on dogs are greatly
exaggerated!  Having and showing Mastiffs in the past I can guarantee you
that you need to take a scale with you and call everyone on their version
of what their dog weighs.  People are idiots where Mastiffs are
concerned.  Sorry if that offends anyone...but it is true.  A truly
functional Mastiff Male is around 185 lbs., that's with great height, a
few will make the 200 lb. mark, if they are really over that ( big doubt
here ) they cease to function efficiently.  I had one guy come up to my
Pyr Ranger and exclaim that he must weigh 165 lbs. at least.  I told him
that at the time Ranger only weighed 112 lbs. on 31", and while he would
gain some weight as he matured, it was unlikely he would ever see 165
lbs.!  One of the reason I no longer have Mastiffs
( and they are a magnificent breed ) is they have become far too popular
with the macho ( if my dog is bigger, I must be better than you ) types,
much to the demise of the breed.  I had five, obedience trained and could
walk them all myself, so good natured are they.  Only once did that not
apply, with an attacking dog, and my hubby took a beating on that with
skinned knees.  At any rate, don't be too quick to accept weights when
people tell you, unless you actually see it on a scale.  Big exaggeration
goes on in the dog world.  Some books classify them as giants, breed
standard actually does not.  Either way, they are good big dogs, and the
coats make them look larger too!   :-)  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka