Re: [PyrNet-L] Giant Breed?

> Yes, and many times in the alter egos of the
> measurer as well.  Years of
> measuring dogs correctly (at the withers with a
> wicket) have consistently
> shown that generally speaking that dogs are neither
> as tall or as short as
> people say they are.
>
> Joe

  LOL, I'm not suprised.  I've discoved they usually
don't weigh as much as people think either.  You'd be
amazed at the number of people who tell me they have a
150 pound Rottweiler at home, or a 120 pound lab.  All
I can think is if so, someone needs to take the dogs
to a vet for a diet dog food!
  For the record, the American standard doesn't
specify a maxium weight but does give 27 to 32 inches
for the height for a male.  It then says a 27 inch dog
should weigh about 100 pounds.  This is smaller then
what I've generally read for average sizes of Newfs'
and Mastiff's.  I think it still classifies Pyrs as
giant breeds though.  Without asking for a lecture on
what to breed for, I have my own opinions (temperment,
health, and the ability to do the work they were
orginally bree d for) a pyr as small at that isn't to
my taste; nor does it seem to be typical of anything
I've seen.
                         Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,