Re: [PyrNet-L] re sleeping arrangements

<<I agree Tracy, and I am sure some people may have a problem.  But I would
suspect there is far less of it than the authors of these books would have
one believe.  I think dogs like the bed because they are close to us, enjoy
the closeness of scent, and because they just love to cuddle too,
besides...it's comfy!  I hate the way they make everything seem like
psychological warfare, between us and the dogs.  I don't see the dogs
playing the same mind games that people do  It is a pity when people have to
be afraid of their dogs, and don't get to enjoy them the way the rest of us
do...what a waste!  I'm going to plump Ranger, and flop down with him right
now! :-)>>  Cindy

I think the 'problem' is that when it comes to a lot of books, they are very
much geared towards addressing the problems.  As a result, they probably
seem a little one-sided. A well known saying for dog behaviour: If you do
not see something your dog does as a problem, then it is not a problem! (and
vice versa).  It is a fact however, and I pretty much see it every week,
that while most families/people are quite happy with their dogs behaviour in
general there are others whose dogs seem to 'have it all over them' so to
speak, the result being a lot of frustration and anxiety (and yes, sometimes
fear) on the part of the owners (and the dogs).

While most people instinctually know how to manage a dog so that the family
and the dog are both happy, there are definitely those who have difficulty
with this.  To some people it just doesn't seem to come naturally.
Sometimes it is hard for those of us to whom it 'does' come naturally to
understand this I think.  It seems so easy to us - we see the little things
and act on them subconsiously.  Sometimes I hear myself saying 'if only I
could take that dog for a while, there would be no problems'.  The trouble
is, this does not work as it is not really the dog that has the 'problem'.

Now these owners may be just as 'good' an owner as any of us 'naturals' -
they love their dogs dearly and try to do the best for them.  They may do
very well at sorting out their problems given the proper guidance and
assistance.  But they are just not 'naturals', and the truth is, maybe any
one of our lovely soft huggey pillows of dogs :-) may have reacted the same
way in the same circumstances (I could definitely see my sweet but
headstrong 'Milou' being a problem with the wrong owner).

I must admit this is one of the reasons I am so big on getting all those
puppies in to training classes early.  If an owner needs help and is not so
much of a 'natural' they can get the additional guidance they need right
from the start (and besides, it is fun! :-) ).  It is also the reason that
it is often recommended that the member of the family who is having the most
'difficulty' with the family dog be the one to take it to classes.

Oh well, 'nuff said :-)  Milou is lying on the couch looking at me with
those eyes that are saying 'get off the 'putor mum. I need a cuddle!'  Guess
where I am headed...... :-)

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au