Fw: [PyrNet-L] Why you chose Pyrs as your breed contest

Never come home from an outing saying "I just saw a very interesting dog. It
was a Pyr something????."  Went on to explane to my husband what a great
little pup and that was about it. Un beknown to me he rang a breeder of
these Pyr something????  to find out how much what they were etc etc. How he
found one was pretty clever work. as Pyrs are not a common dog in Oz.

He found out they were very expensive and no it was rare for homes being
needed for unwanted dogs. So he did not think any more of it. Three weeks
down the road a lovely letter arrived from the breeder asking if we would be
interested in looking at a 14 month old female which we could have on the
condition she was spade (sp). Long story about why she was back at her
starting point.

And so into out lives came Rani soon to turn into Mym (mim) Mad madame Mym
that is. Shape shifter extraordinare. This dog could levitate to the other
side of the fence. I kid you not. It was only a couple of times I actualy
caught her in the act of disappearing. She then proceeded to take over the
whole neighbourhood at every opportunity. Mym was a beautiful elegant mover.
She covered distances as though she had on seven league boots. Many was the
time we had to hurtle around the 2 km. block searching for her on one of her
exit stage left routines. I have been known to walk rapidly after a
disappearing tail in the moonlight at 3 o'clock in the morning as she went
on one of her fox hunts. She had eyes of deep chocolate brown. They were the
sort of eyes that you could see the cogs turning in the brain. She was a
dominant lady who ruled the roost where bones were concerned. She could arc
up the best dog fights this side of the equator. While the boys were busy
brawling she would lift all the bones, and nobody was getting them back.

Ok we had a problem. She needed a companion of some sort so she had no need
to wander. Knowing how dominant she was we thought perhaps there might be
another Pyr??? that needed a home (choccy chip factor worked even before I
got on the lists) Into our lives came Benson. Huge over weight ex goat
farmer that had ended up in a tiny back yard in Suburbia. This boy was so
large his face fell forward with wrinkles when he bent down.  A strict diet
and lots of regular walks and he soon gained his slim svelt looks again.
Beautiful gentle creature who is on this earth to be continualy patted. Not
fussed by whom as long as the patting keeps going. Netball courts on a
saturday morning was equivillent to heaven for him. Hundreds of kids just
wanting to pat the big dog. Never yet have I seen a child scared of him. I
am sure they think he is a stuffed toy......  So now we were the proud
owners of 2 Pyr somethings???

Lo an behold the breeder wondered if we knew of anyone that might like to
give a home to a dog that had been kept on a chain under a hedge for the
first years of his life. "well you see he keeps wandering off so we need to
keep him on a chain" ........ and into our lives popped the bouncy clown of
pyrdom Falcor. Half brother to Mym but totally different in temprement. He
always bounces into the house when ever the door is not shut properly. He
has a big happy laughing face . Has a few socialization problems where ponty
faced dogs are concerned but apart from that and the occasional attempt to
dominate Benson all has been domestic bliss.

Mym had to be put down about 6 months ago because of a liver tumour. Just
prior to that I had seen an add for "HOME WANTED" for a 6 month old
Maremmar.  Now I never read the adds in the local paper?? why that day. So
madam Italian terrorist arrived. Butter sweet never doing any thing bad.
Learning every thing Aunty Mym could pass on including how to levitate
fences. The only thing is Mym did not show her how to circumvent the
electric fence so Bella learned that fences BITE not once but several time.
Obviously not as clever as a Pyr. As far as I know Mym never got caught. She
knew when it was on or off.

So for a short time we had four LGD 's We now have three dogs and the
Alpacas I had longed for one day, "would'nt it be nice to add those pretty
colourd sheep from up the road to the Alpaca and goat herd" so guess what
...yes we now have the seven coloured sheep as well. So many pretty lawn
ornaments to keep the grass down and the dogs something to mind. I must
remember not to wish for an elephant.

P.S we bought part of the farm next door for the dogs and changed our car so
we could take them to the various parks in the area for a change of routine.

Liz (Benson, 10+ Falcor  9+-- Pyrs.  Bella Maremmar, 1yr old lucky if she
makes 2.  Muss and Scrumpy Alpacas, Emily, Heidi Billy, Cocoa and Milo
Goats. & 7 multi coloured lambs not all named yet)