[PyrNet-L] US Height Stats

Hi everyone.
I talked to Whitney Coombs who, along with members of the GPCA Breed Standard
Education Committee, has been measuring and weighing Pyrs at National and
regional specialty shows all across the US since 1996. They use a "wicket" to
measure the dogs height at the shoulder. He gave me some of the statistics that
he has compiled on size of Great Pyrenees in the U.S.
Males:
The range measured was from 26 1/8 to 30 1/2 inches. The average was 28 1/2 "
Although several hundred dogs were measured, only 7 measured over 30 inches and
none over 30 1/2 inches.
39% of males measured 28-29 inches.
27.7% measured between 27 and 28 inches.
Only 12% measured in the top half of the standard range (29 1/2-32 inches)

The females measured ranged from 23 1/4 " to 29"  The average was 26 1/2"
37% were between 26" and 27" while 27% were between 25 and 26".

Most concientious breeders I know are striving to breed taller Pyrs, but it is
simply not easy.  We have bred tall Pyrs with common tall ancesters who have
proven to produce  tall dogs only to find that the pups turn out shorter than the
parents. Then another litter from average parents and grandparents may produce
very tall dogs (or some tall and some short). As one of our first mentors in the
breed used to say  "you may think you have the answers in dog breeding, but
mother nature will fool you every time".....we do love our Pyrs anyway.
Charlotte