Re: [PyrNet-L] leash training redux

<<I am just getting started teaching Leo to walk on the leash (we will start
puppy kindergarten at 10-11 weeks, but would like to get a head start). I
have a very light training lead and a buckle collar for him. He is friendly
and affectionate and likes to follow me around sometimes, but also seems to
have an independent streak. My two previous dogs learned to walk on a leash
simply because they liked to follow me as I walked. Leo does not. he is
interested in going his own way. I have tried everyone's suggestions. I am
calling him, praising him, offering treats, patting my leg, clicking my
tongue....all to no avail. He will not follow me and in fact, he often
fights even the slightest pressure from the leash. >>>Katie

Hi Katie,

Make sure you start with really small steps.  Put the collar and lead on to
get him used to it (which you are doing) and then as a first step, pick up
the lead, get down to his level, and call him to you.  As he starts to come
to you, praise him and when he comes to you, make a big fuss of him, play
with him, have a game with a favourite toy, and or give him a treat he
REALLY likes - something like a small piese of cheese, hot dog, salami etc
(something that is soft, small enough to swallow in one gulp, not crumbly
and smells good!). Remember your laws of physics. An action often has an
equal and opposite reaction.  Tugging on the lead to make him come with you
therefore, is likely to make him sit back and pull.  Pulling him to come
with you is therefore not really effective.

Dont try walking too far at first.  Just get him to accept the lead.  Also
teach him that you will go where YOU want to go on the lead.  The best way
to do this is act like a post.  If he is on lead hand he wants to go
somewhere, stop.  Stay still and let him understand that the lead has
limits.  If he is tugging to go somewhere, stay like a post on the other
end.  As soon as he stops tugging  and sits, moves back or looks back
towards you so the lead goes even ever so slightly loose, praise him and
make a fuss of him.  Call him to you and take a step or two in the opposite
direction.  As he comes with you, praise him, have a game/pat/tummy rub/give
a treat - anything he enjoys.

Make sure you keep any sessions very short.  A pup has a really short
attention span so even 5 minutes is a long time.  You can time your training
sessions by doing them in TV ad breaks :-)  This is as long as they should
be.  You can do them frequently however - several times a day.  It is also a
good idea to do them when the pup is fresh (eg after a sleep when he wants
to play) and hungry (will WANT those treats!).  If he likes his dinner you
can use this as a reward at the end of a 'training session'.  Put your pup
on a lead, pick up his dinner bowl in your other hand, and walk happily to
where you will feed him, praising the pup as he comes with you (make it a
fun, exciting 'dinner-time' game).  You can then put the bowl down,  and
detach the lead as he 'hoes in!

The book 'Perfect Puppy' by Gwen Bailey that I mentioned before (I think)
will have some good advice in it too.

As for the principles of 'training', the book 'Don't Shoot the Dog' by Karen
Prior is worth a read.  Karen's behaviour/training work is well respected
and followed. I believe she has written a book(s) titled 'Nursing your Baby'
too, so you may be familiar with her?

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au