Re: [PyrNet-L] contest 2nd cut

> 1. When did the potato chip factor happen to you?
> (when did you acquire your second Pyr or more?)  and
> in case this does not apply for various reasons

The first time it was not the Potato Chip Factor.  Not if one defines
this factor as that undeniable urge to get another Pyr.  The idea
that suddenly fastens itself to one’s thought process and won’t let
go. No indeed, our second Pyr was not a result of the Potato Chip
Factor.

 Mishka had experienced 3 losses in 3 years.  My father was her first
experience at losing a human under her care.  Every morning Mishka
would go to his bedroom to wake him.  If he was already up, she would
check the bathroom, push the door open and I would hear their morning
greeting. This was a daily ritual, unless we were traveling.  For
months after my father died, Mishka would go to his bedroom, then
check the bathroom and come back to me, confused that she could not
find him.  The next year our older mixed breed dog died, Mishka would
go out each morning and lay on his grave.  This ritual continued for
about a week.  The following year our aging horse became ill.  It was
time to let him go to the bridge and the vet came to end his
suffering.  I put the dogs in the house, as I did not want them
underfoot.  When I came inside Mishka was very agitated, drinking
copious amounts of water and immediately vomiting.   The next 2 weeks
were spent treating Mishka for the physical signs of her grief as
well as depression that lasted several months. She did not eat for
two weeks. At night she would not sleep beside the bed and I would
find her in a room she normally did not sleep in, tucked behind
furniture, just laying there staring. When she was outside she would
wander aimlessly, not even barking.  For a girl who barked at the
wind this was certainly out of character. Outside, I would miss her
and she would again be at the grave.

I considered getting a goat; some ducks, a lamb, even another horse,
all were ruled out.  But it was obvious that Mishka needed something
to restore her purpose.  I had wanted a show puppy, so traveled to
Colorado to meet a breeder and her dogs.  Four months later I brought
a cute male puppy home to Mishka.  What a greeting, Mishka’s eyes lit
up and she immediately took over the raising and training of Kazak. I
never had to worry about that puppy getting into trouble; Mishka was
there to look out for him.

By this time I was involved with Great Pyrenees Rescue.  Plenty of
dogs were coming through so I did not need another Pyr!  Our
temporary residents took care of the P Factor.  That is until Rita
arrived in May of 1998.  Rita was in terrible condition; her skin and
ears needed treatment several times a day.  Once she realized I was
helping her she accepted anything I did.  All the while tugging at my
heartstrings and making me laugh while she did it.  Rita stayed. I’m
still laughing.

Later that same year I must admit the P Factor did take over and
Kalinka came to live with us, a cute fluffy little girl. All it took
was one visit to the breeders where there was a litter of 5-week-old
pups.  Kalinka was chosen and we all waited until she could come live
with us. By this time Mishka was so busy she let me do most of the
raising and training of this pup.  I really don’t expect the P Factor
to be a major issue in my life as this year alone I have fostered two
puppies.  What great ways to get a puppy fix and not have to consider
if I have the money, energy and stamina for a 5th Pyr.  So there is
no reason for the P Factor to hit at all…Well, unless that Mahogany
Boy that was at the Nationals has a marked puppy just like his
Dad…<g>.

2. Just how far will you go to make your Pyr happy?
I.E. Taking him/her for a walk at 2 am because they
like to see the stars, sleep on only 2 inches on the
edge of the bed because they like to spread out, etc.

The most outlandish thing I have done is drive 140 miles to Petsmart
so Kazak can pick out his own toy. <VBG>

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico