[PyrNet-L] Sasha--the Sequel--Why I chose a Great Pyrenees.

Sasha--the Sequel--Why I chose a Great Pyrenees.

Sasha, the Pyr who was given up by the now-famous “Woman who was going
to Fraaaawnnnce”, arrived at my home (soon to be her home) in Vermont
riding in the back of an open pickup, a mode a transportation she was
never to use again.  It seems that the “Woman who...you know the
rest”... was married to a red redneck.  “Dog always rides bach thar!”

Sasha was six years old when she gave up riding in the back of  pickups
to try to adjust to life on a mountain in Vermont.  For five weeks she
resisted my efforts to become her friend.  She also resisted all efforts
of  Tahki, my shepherd/cannardly (you can hardly tell what he was)
cross, to make friends with her.  Then came school vacation, and I being
a teacher at the time, had a full week to work on her.  And work I did.
She rewarded me by accepting my hand, accepting food from my hand, and
accepting Tahki’s play bows as friendly gestures.  She was ours for
better or worse.

Then the worst  happened.  The ex-owners decided that “you-know-where”
was not for them.  They returned to the United States and asked for
Sasha back.  For two weeks I agonized as to what to do.  After all, she
had been their dog for six years; she had been mine for only four
months.  When they called for my final decision, my father happened to
be visiting, and Sasha’s head happened to be resting in his lap, getting
a gentle stroking.  “No,” I said, “Sasha is a part of our family now,
and she will stay here with us.”

And stay she did--never the “wife” that I had promised Tahki--but his
loyal companion nevertheless.

For six and a half years Sasha enjoyed the cool breezes of summer and
the freezing blasts of winter with strength and grace.  In her twelfth
year her health began to fail.  She could not keep her dinner down, and
she could not get her back end up.  I made her a promise that whatever
it took, I would give her the summer of 1994.  My vet and I worked to
make that happen, but by late August we knew that Sasha’s time to go to
the Bridge was coming.

With my help, Sasha got into the back of my jeep on that cool, final
Autumn morning.   As we started on our last ride together, we passed a
neighbor’s house, where the other Pyr who lived on our mountain was
sitting outside enjoying the sun.  These two females had always barked
at each other.  This morning, neither made a sound.  Sasha looked at
Princess, Princess stared back, and in my ear, I swear that I heard
Sasha say, “I will send someone.”

Sasha was put down that day.  The date was August 20, 1994.  Two days
later, on August 22, 1994, Ch. Maranatha Joy to the World gave birth to
a litter of six Pyr puppies, one of whom was to come home to Vermont as
Maranatha Mountain Lilly.  Sasha really did send someone.

Thanks, Sasha, wherever you are.

Catherine