[PyrNet-L] Re: metabolism

In a message dated 12/17/99 8:56:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

<< Do Pyrs eat in proportion to their size?  For example, a friend of mine has
 a bassett hound who eats much less than one would assume, but my sister's
 rottweilers definitely ate in proportion to their size. >>

Well, that depends on the pyr.  The more appropriate question is SHOULD Pyrs
eat appropriate to their size since any pyr may eat in proportion to their
size (thinking of my male who loves to chow down or rather, inhale, any food
in his reach).  Pyrs have slow metabolisms which suits them well for what
they were bred for -- lounging around and supervising on not much food.   So
they don't burn calories.  That's why a full gorwn pyr should eat about 4
cups of kibble or the equivilent a day.  Any more and they will put on weight
unless they are routinely active, which is typically un-pyr like.  Puppies
need more nutrition to help with the growth, but after they mature, its about
4 cups a day.  The same is true with the larger variety of horses, say
Clydesdales or Percherons, or so I was told by my vet.

Elisa