Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS- Threat to Pyrs?

In a message dated 12/17/99 6:13:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Kshoffman@aol.com writes:

<< Janice,

 How many years ago would you say this "switch" from mostly linebreeding to
 mostly outcrossing in Newfs occurred, and how long has it been known that
SAS
 is a problem in the breed?  Is there any evidence yet to indicate that the
 overall frequency of the disease breed-wide has decreased as a result of
this
 general change in trend of breeding modality? >>

While I appreciate Janice's observation and would not want to make any
comments that are negative in the least, I have a huge alarm going off in my
head.  The alarm says lets not make such a huge jump in theory and casual
observation that could be exacerbated by bias and mistakes.  Sounds like we
cannot exactly pin down the genetic mode of transmission and when we might it
is like a roulette wheel, we never know when the mutation number will hit.
Please lets be careful faulting linebreeding.  If you line breed genetic
problems you will identify the problems quicker and easier.  Linebreeding can
and should be the messenger.  Lets not shoot it.  If abused or used
inappropriately it could add to a problem, but that's true of anything.

There are many reasons for lack of linebreeding.  Explosion of new, transient
breeders and exhibitors "doing their own thing" I believe would rise to the
top of the list.

Joe