Re: [PyrNet-L] Ears

I may be a little late with this reply (my computer was down for a week), but
ear mites are a recurring problem for a few reasons - it is mistakenly
assumed that they are only in the ear, they are highly "contagious", and like
fleas they leave eggs that hatch after the first generation has been disposed
of.  Use a good ear mite medication, preferably one from your vet, but be
sure that anything you use has pyrethrins as the active ingredient.  Once a
week won't do the job.  You have to get the meds down into the ear for a full
ten days.  Leave them alone for a week, then do another ten days of
medication.  This way, you'll get both the older mites and the next
generation.  Simultaneously, you have to treat the entire head area.  A good
flea collar (again with pyrethrins) will do the job, and catch the stray
mites that are lurking in the folds and around the edges of the ears.  That
should pretty much solve the problem, but be aware that if one animal in the
house has ear mites, odds are good that they all do and should all be treated
at the same time.  Good luck!

Jeanne