Re: [PyrNet-L] underground fencing

Hi Katie
You won't often hear from me on the line but I do occasionally speak out and
when it comes to underground fencing or invisible fencing (as its also
known) in regards to pyrs I usually come out of lurking (I hate to think of
someone else making the same mistake that I did).  I have two males, a 4 yr
old (Shakespeare) and a 18 month old (Mushu).  I have found that pyrs do, on
the whole,  not stay home because of the fence.  They will stay because they
happen to feel like it at the time.  When the time comes that they want to
leave they will walk right through it.  I have watched my 4 yr old stand
over top of the line and casually look back at me as though to say well what
are you going to do about it now (he was actually wagging his tail at the
time).  The collar at the time was at its maximum strength and the line was
set for its maximum distance.  The people who installed the fence were out
several times.  In the beginning, they said the dog had not been properly
introduced to the fence (even though I had carefully followed the
instructions in the video tape that was given to me at the time.)   They
eventually sent out a dog trainer (so there's a lot of support but....) he
admitted there were certain dogs who were often not easily deterred by this
type of fence.
When I initially inquired about this fence, the salesman says that it was
guaranteed and that he knew of several pyrs on this type of fencing.  Well,
I did find a couple but like myself they found it only kept the pyrs in when
they wanted to stay home anyway.
This particular topic has come up on this line before, and it doesn't seem
to cause that much argument other than nobody seems to have been able to
consistently keep their pyrs at home.  It seems to take good quality fencing
and initiative to keep these diligent escape artists from patrolling the
whole neighbourhood.  I now only use mine if I'm in the yard to supervise
the antics and can quickly recall the deliquents when the need arises.  I
apologize for the length of this email, but I felt that you should be at
least forewarned.
Ciao, Heather
Shakespeare (catch me if you can) and Mushu (I don't like the noise but the
zap tickles)