Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

If linebreeding makes it EASY to consistantly produce generations of
beautiful dogs, I must be uniquely stupid because I find it is a great deal
of work (albeit an enjoyable workload)  that involves a huge amount of
reseach before each breeding.

The problem is that linebreeding is a tool that needs to be used like any
other to improve a bloodline.  You can't just throw any two dogs together
and just because they are related expect to get quality.  Unfortunately this
is the case with some linebreeders.

I also strongly disagree that linebreeding increases the incidence of
defects.  Actually, you can dramatically reduce flaws by doing your homework
prior to breeding.  If you know that historically there is a problem when
linebreeding on a certain dog you make sure that your breedings avoid doing
so.  By careful and select linebreeding you can avoid most surprises.  By
constant outcrossing you are throwing in more and more wildcards each
breeding.  When a problem occurs you have no way of tracing it and thus
avoiding a repetition of it.

Any breeding has the possibility of producing good dogs.  It is reproducing
that success that is made more difficult by outcrossing.  For every top
winning dog you can name that is from an outcrossed breeding I assure you I
can name one from a linebreeding.  It is no coincidence that the majority of
the top breeders use linebreeding.  The key point is that they are also
combining a great deal of skill in picking puppies, evaluating breeding
stock and knowledge of the breedings that have gone before them along with
the linebreeding.

I do agree with the poster that linebreeding is not the only way to go.  For
myself, I just think it is the most effective.

If I am repeating anything that has been recently discussed on the list, I
appologize.  I have been too busy with business of late to really read the
posts in much depth and only happen to catch this one when I came up for
air.

Take Care Everyone,
Doug Hustins
Acroyar Great Pyrenees