Re: [PyrNet-L] Canine Nutrition

Wow!  David was right ... lots of advice ... and all of it appreciated.  I
have tried Daisy on Innova and California Natural.  There's a great doggie
health food store in my area so I've been fortunate to have easy access to
all of these type kibbles.  Daisy loved Innova ... but it didn't like her.
Her rash seemed to intensify and she started licking her paws, which makes
me think she is bothered by chicken as well.  I saw lots of improvement with
the California Natural but she obviously didn't like it as much (and I want
her to be *happy* and *healthy*).  Presently I feed her the Hund 'N Flocken
with half a can of the California Natural mixed in warm water to make gravy.
She adores this ... and she poos a lot.  When I first got her, I gave her
Iams lamb and rice and that's where her problems began.  She was a rescue
pyr so I don't know what her former owners fed her.  Same for Badger, but he
doesn't seem to have the sensitivities.  Both dogs are in the 3-4 year old
range.

I have read up on the BARF diet and I do give a small bit of raw lamb still
on the bone once or twice a week.  This is a favorite treat for Daisy; as I
write this Badger is worrying himself trying to find a way to get my can of
Lipton's Tea ... so that tells you where his tastes lay.  One concern I've
read about BARF is all the hormones pumped into American livestock.  Also,
I've read that it can be dangerous if the dog is suffering from an illness
that compromises its immune system; in other words, the dog doesn't have the
proper flora in its gut to protect it from harmful organisms in the raw
meat.  I do like the idea of dogs on the BARF diet not having bad breath.
Daisy has horrible breath but healthy teeth.  Could this be an enzyme
problem related to her allergies and diet?