Re: [PyrNet-L] Canine Nutrition

<<My girl, Daisy, has some itchy skin and smelly ear problems that seem to
clear up when I feed her brands not containing corn, soy, beef, etc. (ok,
just about everything)...........  I have two pyrs and I scoop an average of
6 (forgive me) "piles" a day.  Is that a lot, or average for having more
than one dog?  I'm concerned that if so much is coming out of the dogs, not
enough nutrients are staying in them.  I have also tried feeding Daisy "home
cooked" meals but anything other than kibble leaves her with loose bowels.
I would be interested in hearing from other pyr owners who cook for their
dogs ... and also any recommendations on brands of kibble, especially from
owners of pyrs that are sensitive to corn, etc.>>Kim

Feeding dogs is a very 'personal' thing, often with lots of 'strong
feelings' :-).  Here is my personal 'take' on the topic :-):

I don't 'cook' for my dogs, nor do I feed kibble.  I feed a BARF diet.  BARF
stands for 'Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods'  Many, many people have had
success feeding their dogs this way, including the reduction of problems
such as allergies.  It also reduces waste!  My dogs do about 1 or maybe 2
small, hard, non-smelly poos a day each (am I smiling? :-D).  They are using
all the nutrients they are given, because they are in a natural form they
can easily digest.

Basically the diet does not include grains or dairy (I do feed a little very
rarely, but a lot of people never feed them).  These are not natural foods
for dogs, and one of the things that contribute to all that 'waste product'.
They are also major allergens.

If you are interested in learning more about the BARF diet, a search of the
internet will give you lots of info to start with (particularly look at the
sites on the BARF webring to see how others are doing it).

Some books I would strongly recommend are "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and
Cats: The Ultimate Diet" by Kymythy Shultze (she is a Newfy breeder,
certified clinical nutritionist and animal health instructor) or "Give your
Dog a Bone" by Ian Billinghurst (an Aussie Vet).  You can find them at
www.dogwise.com

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au