Re: [PyrNet-L] input on entropion

Kelly, for what it worth, I have learned to look at the eye of the adult
dogs. If the eye has a tendency to roll in during severe stress you can
almost bet the recessive gene is in that dog. May not show up until the
right pair of dogs are bred but it's there. Very difficult to describe but I
have been able to pick up on it most when working dogs would get very wormy
in late spring and lose some body condition before beginning worming series.
These bloodlines I mark as potential so I will know what I  will be looking
for in pups from a sister, brother, aunt, uncle, dam, or sire to confirm my
suspicion. Once just one pup from this lineage shows confirmed entroprion
that  bloodline is never continued. Bad eyesight or aggravating health
condition does not make for a good working dog.
    I've also noticed that generally if a dog carries the entroprion gene it
also carries the gene for overbite or underbite. Very common to see both
afflictions in the same litters.
    I will have to say that generally there will be only one or two pups
show active signs of entroprion out of a litter of 8 or 10. I would say very
unusual to have 1/2 the litter so afflicted. Just when it happens it becomes
a known problem and all pups in that breeding will carry these traits.

Beverly Coate  C&C Farms   Stigler Oklahoma   USA  918-967-4871
Great Pyrenees LGD's  -  Hampshire - Cotswald - Polypay  Sheep
Nubian Dairy Goats  -  LGD Rescue foster home
Visit our website at http://www.c-c-farms.com/
Help support LGD Rescue by subscribing to Excel Long distance service from
the Excel button on our website
bcoate@cwis.net
ICQ #20747702

> I'm looking for any observations, anecdotes, personal experience with
> entropion in litters, preferably in Pyrs, but any breed would also be
> helpful, I'll take what I can get.
>
> A co-breeder who has linebred stock from me (Great Pyrs) had a linebred
> litter of 6, 10 gen COI=25.2%, Unique ancestors=214, Common ancestors=147,
> and low and behold half the litter has entropion in one eye.  All these
> affected puppies seem to have very small oblique almond shaped eyes, but
this
> is a common familial trait in the line in question and in the past I've
never
> seen it seem to be associated with entropion.
>
> Dam actually has a larger slightly rounder eye (although not what I would
> term a round eye overall).  Sire has the tiny little almond eye set
> obliquely, but not triangular.  (Triangular shaped eyes are often
implicated
> for predisposing to entropion.)  Of the three apparently UNaffected pups
(so
> far) one has an eye shape almost identical to mom, one has an intermediate
> eye shape between mom and dad, and the third has a tiny oblique almond eye
> like dad's but no signs of entropion at this point.  Dam's pedigree (10
> gens): COI=23.3%, U=268, C=137; Sire's pedigree (10 gens): COI=27.9%,
U=235,
> C=152.
>
> I did have reports of sire's litter sister (s/n pet) having entropion a
> couple of years ago, but long story short, details from the owner were
rather
> sketchy and didn't always make sense at the time and owner (long distance
> owner) didn't follow up with providing all the info I needed and wanted.
> Since I'd never seen it before in several prior linebred litters with
similar
> pedigrees and most of the same common ancestors, I didn't really stand up
and
> take notice on that one isolated case as being something to be overly
> concerned about.  I'd used the sire of that particular litter twice, and
I've