Re: [PyrNet-L] input on entropion

On 21 Feb 00, at 10:54, Kshoffman@aol.com wrote:
> So, now I'm standing up and taking notice and would like to gather
> more info on this to figure out how it is inherited and trace the path
> in the pedigree. So far most folks in a number of breeds seem to feel
> it is polygenic and mode of inheritance can throw a breeder for a
> loop. Also turns out that dam of the litter *may have* produced one
> case of entropion in her one previous litter, also a moderate
> linebreeding but only two puppies total.

Kelley, I've not really seen any information on a mode of
inheritance, ie, polygenic, but just that inheritance is complex.

"Although entropion and ectropion are hereditary disorders in many
breeds, their mode of inheritance is complex. No one gene
controls the development of eyelid conformation. Instead, it is a
combination of genes that control eyelid size and shape, depth of
the orbit (eye socket), size and shape of the eyes, head
conformation and amount of facial skin. All of these genes work in
concert to determine the relationship of the eyelids to the eye."

Janice, janices@jump.net
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX