Re: [PyrNet-L] Rescue, I think?

Sorry to take so long to read my mail -- it's been one of those weeks!  I
haven't read the responses yet to your questions, but having taken in a
rescue pyr recently, I'll take a stab at some of them.

<<  He seems to be healthy except for a place on his back where the hair is
thin and it looks  like some scabs on his skin.>>
Good to get this area checked out.  Two of our pyrs, when they were both less
than 2 years of age, had scaley skin.  Now that they have matured, both their
skin and coats are beautiful.  Besides checking for things like mange and
bacterial infections, ask your vet to check the area for ring worm.  Although
this doesn't sound like ringworm, it is a fungus that can easily spread and
you wouldn't want your other animals to get it.

<<Also, his nose has a big pink spot on
 it and around the eye area the skin is not as black as Jasmine's.  Is this
 something that will darken up with time?>>
Pink on the nose, if it's not due to excessive rubbing that may cause
discolouration, is probably a fault -- poor pigment.

<< He did have on a nice leather collar (which was too
 tight and needed to be let out a couple of notches) but no tags of any sort.

 Attached to the ring on the collar was a scrap of fabric about 6inches long,
 as though he was tied out with cloth? >>

Sounds as if this dog has been out for some time -- tight collar, no tags,
scrap of cloth attached to collar.  It also strikes me that this dog hasn't
been well cared for in the past, and I would be a bit reluctant to do much
searching for his original owners.  I personally don't like to see dogs kept
in this condition, and wouldn't want to have him put back into such a
situation.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC