Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

<< The irony of it is that lots of them
 are content to sit quietly in the background, and a good number of them
 would even be dismissed as "backyard breeders" simply because they do not
 breed in volume or actively campaign every one of their dogs >>

Just because a breeder doesn't "actively campaign" their dogs, doesn't make
them a "backyard breeder".  Breeding in volume indiscriminately, not
carefully checking bloodlines before breeding, not following health
protocals, not carefully screening potential owners to make sure the pup will
be placed in a suitable environment, not being there when the new owners have
questions, having a "my dogs don't wind up in rescue" attitude are in my
opinion just a few of the things that make a backyard breeder.  One of our
pyrs came from a small breeder in North Carolina.  This woman carefully
checked her blood lines, has all the necessary health checks performed prior
to breeding, carefully "screens" potential owners to make sure they are aware
of what a Pyr pup will become, and has been a wonderful source of information
for us when we had questions about our pup.  Since we've known her, she has
had only one other litter.  She raises these dogs for livestock guardians and
while she doesn't show her dogs, she is active in promoting responsible
ownership of LGD.  I wouldn't consider her a "backyard breeder" -- she's just
not a "big name breeder".

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC