Re(2): Re: [PyrNet-L] Seeking More Advice

I think the idea of a natural relaxer is not a bad one. We give Ivy Rose
melatonin when thunder storms are predicted, on the recommendation of
someone on this list, and it's been an enormous help with no side effects
other than making her somewhat less frantic. I'd also do what you suggest:
regular routine, and I'd really use a crate. Ivy and her mother before her
were outside (kennel) dogs before they came to us, so they were accustomed
to crates, but I'd try it with your boy anyway. Ivy cried the first couple
of nights for a while, but we made it through those first trying and
tiring nights and then she was fine.  After about 3 weeks she began to
complain again--because she was in the crate and Paddington wasn't! We
stopped crating her then and she's been OK ever since. One thing you might
do if at all possible is make sure he doesn't spend the whole day
sleeping--sometimes hard when you're out at work, but it does make them
more amenable to crashing when you do!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose