Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

In a message dated 2/23/00 5:50:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< No perfect dogs, totally agreed, but there are problems that should not be
 bred.  There are problems that when known and bred can be bred with the hope
 of compensating for them, these are type problems, etc.  The danger of
saying
 there are no perfect dogs is to give "license" to those breeders without the
 background or knowledge to just say "there are no perfect dogs, so lets
breed
 this problem."  I think this discussion is about the more serious genetic
 problems at least that is what I post from.

Yes, Joe  - I think Padgett calls this "degrees of disagreeables" or
something of that sort.  <grin>  The trouble that I have with the idea of a
perfect dog and a perfect litter is the impossibility of accomplishing this
goal.  I prefer to try and remain more realistic.  When I was beginning to
research the possibility of breeding, I was naive enough to think that I
could have a perfect litter, as it seemed that most people in Pyrs did (since
they would never admit to a problem).  When that did not happen I was
devastated.  Since most breeders don't discuss problems (most breeders in my
area will not admit to *anything*) I was unprepared to deal with one when it
did occur. Thank heavens that the breeder/co-owner of the litter's sire was
so helpful!  We need to, as a group,  discuss these problems, and ways to
deal with them.  I am beginning to see more of that, especially on the lists.
 But I do not think it is fair to make blanket statements such as those that
lead to the idea of perfection.  It is a nice goal, but only if we realize
that it is impossible.  This idea gives "license", if you will, to hide
problems and pretend that perfection does exist.  I would much rather begin
my journey as a breeder with facts, true knowledge of what I am getting into,
and mentors who are willing to be open and honest, rather than the way that I
did begin.  My first bit of research these days starts with the breeder, are
they honest and ethical?  Are they open to discussing problems they have had
and how they dealt with them?  Are there other people who have been involved
with them who can attest to this? Then I look at the dogs and the pedigrees.
If I am not comfortable with  the answers to my questions, it really doesn't
matter what Pyrs they have, I am not going there.
  Again, nothing personal towards anyone, just an idea from a person who is
starting down this road and trying to do it better next time.

Eyes as wide open as possible this time
Peggy