Re: [PyrNet-L] re: chat

I didn't read through the entire message regarding the lady in the
apartment in Toronto, but do have some questions regarding her assurance
that "pyrs only bark when there's something to bark at." It's true, but
it's also quite remarkable what they will find to bark at, particularly
when they're bored, which I think might happen somewhat often in an
apartment. Regarding cost, I hate to think of people not being able to
have the companionship of dogs because they are not affluent, but on the
other hand, I know what we spent on Paddington during his first year of
life, on Shelley with her cancer, on each dog for quality food, grooming,
regular veterinary care, etc....the initial cost of a puppy was minor
compared with the rest. So unless everything else looks *really* good, I'd
be quite cautious.
As regards the apartment, we did raise Paddington in a rather small
apartment for his first year, but we knew it was temporary, and we were in
a situation where he got long walks, play periods in various parks etc.
every day, and we had easy access to an outdoor area when we were training
him. Watching our two enjoy just hanging out in the yard, I don't think
I'd feel fair having to keep them so confined. Ours are surely house dogs,
but when the weather is cool they surely love to be out.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose