Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Breedeing question

In a message dated 03/11/2000 3:41:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sandybear@intercity.dk writes:

<< I don't know of course which negatives Terry are thinking of, by for
myself I consider the profuse, soft, wooly spay coat a huge disadvantage,
that is never mentioned when spaying/neutering is discussed on the list. One
of the nice thing about the pyr is the easy-to-maintain coat, and most
spay/neuters loose that quality.>>

This is discussed quite often on the Belgian lists.  I do believe it to be
true myself, so it's not only Pyrs who get these soft downy coats as a result
of s/n.  Not saying it is necessarily a valid reason to forego s/n.

<>

Agreed.

Additionally, in breeds that are very competitive and successful at
protection sports, i.e. Schutzhund, French Ring Sport, IPO, et al. (and even
amongst some top obedience, agility, and tracking competitors as well)
spay/neuter is firmly believed to negatively impact on the dog's drive and
working ability, and hence this type of surgical sterilization is rarely done
in some such circles. However, such owners/trainers will often opt for
vasectomies for males and tubal ligations for females.

Kelley