Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question/showing

In a message dated 03/11/2000 8:43:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
srwhitney@earthlink.net writes:

<< Sounds really interesting!  I'm very new to all of this (I've only gone to
a few
 Wolfhound and Pyr matches/specialtites and a couple of all breed shows) so
I'm
 still just trying to figure it all out.  I hope I didn't sound like I
thought I
 knew what I was talking about, because I know I don't! :) >>

It was interesting all right, and we had a blast!  I would *love* for AKC
shows to be a more family type and casual atmosphere.  Oh, and another thing
I wanted to mention about UKC (United Kennel Club) shows is that NO HANDLERS
ARE PERMITTED.  The dogs must be handled by owners or co-owners, and while it
is not specifically against the rules to have a "friend" handle, most people
avoid that because some folks will raise a stink about it and if UKC feels it
was a roundabout "handling arrangement", they *will* take disciplinary action.

I know of a woman who sent one of her Belgian Shepherds with a friend to be
handled at a UKC show a few hundred miles away from home, so she helped
offset friend's transportation expenses (gasoline, lodging) not knowing that
was a "NO NO" and considered payment by UKC.  Someone found out about it,
filed a complaint, and the woman lost UKC privileges for one year.

Kelley