[PyrNet-L] Re: [Pyr-Net]:breeding question/showing

Harvey, you wrote a very nice letter, and I appreciate your comments.  I
have four un-registered Pyrs., that came from working parents.  These
pups were priced at $150.00, but the man sold me five pups for $50.00
each if I would take the five at once.  A friend took one, and in the
end, I could not part with the other four.  We also have a Shih-Tzu.  The
fellow sold three of his litter, but found out quickly how fast pups grow
and eat, and he wanted out of the feeding, medical care, destruction (
pups do chew! ), etc.  At eight weeks, they were already more than he
wanted to handle.

I obviously cannot show these dogs.  My husband and I did show English
Mastiffs.  Showing should not be the be all and end all of any ones
existences in dogs, I agree.  We did conformation, obedience, and started
tracking with the Mastiffs.  We loved the extra's but did not require "
high point" statis to enjoy the events.  My one bitch was able to take
breed.

I am just curious as to why everyone who gets a dog, wants to breed it?
I have come to believe that before anyone breeds they need to spend
several days working in the "kill" area of a shelter, to add perspective
to the choice to breed.  Also check the papers, for how many of your
breed have pups available, and talk to the breed rescue groups as to what
amount of that breed is in rescue, before you even consider breeding and
the needed tests to assure quality healthy pups.  The estimate of animals
euthanized in this country is said to be around 6 million a year.  Surely
you can understand why some of us consider the choice to breed as being
of the utmost importance.  Pups should be brought into a world that
cares, not destroys.  Yes, I do love these creatures to the depth of my
soul!  Respectfully, Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas