Re: [PyrNet-L] New Pup and Co-Ownership

Hi Chrissy,
I am behind, as usual, in reading my e-mail but did want to comment on co-ownership agreements. We have used them a fair amount over the years, but I have also heard of some very unfair co-ownership agreements.  We seldom sell pups except on spay/neuter agreements.  If we do let someone have a breedable pup, it is only on a co-ownership (unless they are  good friends who are willing to work with us).  This gives us some sort of control over how the pup is bred and what happens to the offspring. Hopefully this helps to ensure that offspring of our breeding will not turn up in rescue and also gives us a chance to mentor newcomers to the breed  Actually, many of our best friends are people with whom we have co-owned dogs.

The most important thing about co-ownership agreements is to get everything in writing.  Co-ownership agreements with male dogs are much easier than with females.  Typically the co-owned pup may be sold at a reduced price.  In the case of males, we just ask that we be able to use the dog for breeding on our own dogs at no cost.  Sometimes we ask to be able to show the dog if it is convenient with the people he lives with.  Although we have co-owned many males over our 30+ years in the breed, we have only used 2 of them for breeding and have only shown 3 a handful of times.  Co-owning a female is much more complicated because it usually requires that the breeder gets puppies back. We have only done this a few times and one of those was a disaster.   Usually the important question in co-owning a female is how many pups from how many litters and are they the 1st or 2nd pick etc.  I have heard tales of  people getting into agreements that I would not have had anything to do with,  i.e. many pups from many litters.  You have to make sure that everything is put in writing and you are comfortable with every detail and the people you will be working with.  Who will pay for stud fees?, who will whelp the litter?, what if there is only one puppy and a huge Vet bill?, at what age are the pups taken?.  Just don't agree to anything that you are uncomfortable with or which will add up to making that pup more expensive than one that you bought outright.  Also make sure that  the contract includes provisions that the breeder will provide a replacement pup if the puppy does not turn out to be breeding quality.
Hope this helps.
Charlotte in rainy Virginia (but the daffodils are blooming :) )

Hi all!    Just wondering if any of you have used Co-Ownership Agreements with your Pyrs, either with pups you bred or a pup/dog you paid half on with someone else.  If there's any specifics I need to know, feel free to e-mail me through the list or privately.  Thanks! ChrissyRajah and Moses (New Puppy?)West Union, WVdsmith@iolinc.net  > To unsubscribe, send a message to esquire@pyrnet.org with