Re: [PyrNet-L] skin rash

<< Our boy Max suffers from some kind of creeping rash that moves around his
belly and sometimes down his legs a bit.  He chews and gets little scabbies,
and his tum hair gets snarled and matted from the chewing.  We've had him to
two vets, but we haven't been able to overcome this problem... any
suggestions?  Present treatment is 1 Tbl safflower oil in his supper each
night, as well as yeast/garlic tabs (he used to get hot spots, but since we
started the yeast/garlic he hasn't).>>Louise

Welcome Louise! :-)

A rash is often caused by an allergy.  Two possibilities are a food allergy
and a contact allergy.  First thing I noticed is that you are giving him
yeast.  Yeast is notorious for causing allergies, so it may be an idea to
switch him to just the garlic and see if this has an effect.

Without knowing more about the diet you are feeding, I will mention that
dogs can also have reactions to foods such as grains, dairy, and
occasionally (but not as often) some meats etc.  You may also wish to
consider any preservatives or colours in the food you are feeding.

Be aware that it may take a little while to get it out of his system though
(and if and if you do remove the cause, the problem may get a little worse
before it gets better as his system 'detoxes') so don't expect the rash to
be gone in only a few days.

Could it be a contact allergy to something he is lying on or walking
through?  Something you are using on the floors or something in the yard?
These are all things to consider.

Did the vet check for any 'bugs' on the skin that might be causing the rash?
A skin scraping should determine this.

To help sooth the area, rinsing it with a mix of 50/50 apple cider
vinegar/water can help too as will washing it frequently and drying well
afterwards.

Hope this helps

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia