Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: [Pyr-Net]:breeding question/showing

In a message dated 03/11/2000 10:20:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

> Kelly........Bingo!  The answer lies at the end of your letter.  They
>  just don't matter as much as your right, to breed, to add to the
>  population, because you are human.  There is nothing I can say to add
>  anything to that thought process.  But at least you said what others
>  would not.

Yes, I firmly believe I have the right and an obligation to produce quality
specimens of a purebred breed I love dearly for those who are truly deserving
of owning them. I produce dogs that are healthy and sound of mind and body
and I place them in the types of homes I feel are up to the commitment and
challenge of ownership, and on rare occasions, sometimes even the
reproductive custodianship of this special breed. The bulk of what I produce
is placed as s/n pets intentionally.

I am proud to be contributing to a positive good image for the breed.  I
couldn't have been more proud when a dog of my breeding was named Service Dog
of the Year by the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association for making over 200
therapy visits in one calendar year. Not even a Best in Show or a National
Specialty win will ever top that, honestly. I couldn't be happier with those
owners and their dog, that we found each other by design, nor could I be
sadder that the husband died years after we met them of complications from a
bone marrow transplant for leukemia. These people became our friends because
of that dog. That wonderful dog I bred and helped hand select specifically
for their needs and goals not only lived up to their high expectations, but
probably even exceeded them. Our lives are all richer because of our
association via this dog. Yes, this is more satisfying to me than rescue and
I am not ashamed to admit it.

This is why I breed dogs. This is what I strive for with each and every dog I
place. I don't always achieve this same level of success every time, but that
is always the idea and what I hope to accomplish, and I think I have placed
my pups/dogs with some of the greatest and most wonderful pet owners in the
world.  I am so thrilled to have provided them with exactly what they were
hoping for in a lifelong family companion. I prefer to place my dogs in
families with children. I feel a healthy, mentally stable, well-socialized
and well-bred dog is of the utmost importance, especially in a family
situation.

Please let's not gloss over the fact that the dogs I produce aren't ending up
unwanted or discarded or in rescue or in shelters, or euthanized -- unless
for health reasons on extremely rare occasions for the latter, or health
reasons related to the consequences of old age.  I always have and always
will take back any one of mine or even any one descended from mine for any
reason, no questions asked.  I willingly take on that responsibility and
accountability for owners I may occasionally make a mistake on placing with
in the first place, or who for whatever reason can no longer keep their dog.

Less than 20% of the puppies my husband and I are responsible for bringing
into this world have remained reproductively intact for any length of time,
and only half of those have ever gone on to reproduce.  The rest have all
either been s/n before placement, or placed on s/n contract up front.  Those
that are not originally placed on s/n contract either stay here with us, or
they are placed on co-ownership (with one past exception -- I made one
mistake, and I will never make that mistake again).  The vast majority of
those left intact are kept here with us and grown out, perhaps used for
breeding only once in their lifetime, if at all.  Many that we've grown out
over the years we decide sometimes as late as 2-3 yrs of age not to use in
our breeding program, just decide they are not up to our standards of
excellence for breeding purposes and these are then s/n and placed.  More
often than not, those we keep that are bred one time or rarely twice are also
then s/n and placed in suitable and appropriate loving homes or working
situations.

Is it tough owning and getting attached to a dog or that period of time and
then placing it?  Of course it is, but I firmly feel this is the most
responsible way of conducting a serious breeding program with a focus on
breeding an all-around healthy and mentally stable and pretty pet or working
dog.  It's also a practical way of maintaining tight control on breeding
activities, keeping one's "circle" and boundaries relatively small to protect
the gene pool and to always be conscious and concerned with the potential
chain of custodianship.

Only a handful out of our program over the years have gone out on
co-ownership breeding terms (generally for no money) with close friends
and/or acquaintances we know and trust well. Hence we have pretty much
control and input over any breeding activities of those animals too, and not
all of them have gone on to reproduce either. I tend to choose my doggie
friends and acquaintances very carefully. They have to be folks who I can get
along with and who have the same or very similar goals and objectives and
high standards.

I don't make one red cent breeding dogs. Make no mistake about that. Breeding
is an extremely expensive hobby that has cost me thousands of dollars a year,
and it is very time consuming and is fraught with lots of heartaches and
sadness and it is certainly not all peaches and cream. I don't breed often,
and I don't show all that often compared to many. Not only do I not make a
profit, I don't even come remotely close to offsetting my expenses via income
from puppy sales.  I'm not talking about offsetting show expenses, since I
tend to only show on occasion at specialties and large cluster shows. I'm
talking about the cost of feeding, maintaining, vetting, and training, and
the time required to raise and socialize and groom and care for dogs and
puppies properly.  I generally don't expect to be able to offset my expenses
for conducting a proper and well-planned breeding program because I only
breed when I can easily place the pups I don't intend to grow out myself into
exceptional homes.

If perhaps anyone thinks I'm insensitive and uncaring about dogs, then let me
tell you about my heartbreaking and gutwrenching parvo incident, when we
spent $3500 trying to save the lives of 5 puppies (four of which died over
the 5-day period during which they were being treated) primarily because I
cared dearly for them and because I have a love and compassion for animals
and I felt a personal obligation to give them a chance to live. I knew going
into it that the chances of saving any of them were minimal, but I spent the
money anyway because I could not stand to see them suffering, and felt I
should give them every opportunity to pull through this awful illness.  Quite
honestly, I don't know if I would go that route again should such a horrible
circumstance ever arise in the future (God forbid) because it was absolutely
an emotionally and financially taxing experience.

I have here, right now, the surviving pup from that awful parvo disaster. He
is now over two years old and he is NEUTERED and he is as much loved and
adored at this point as any of my "show" or "breeding" quality dogs.  He is
here because I wanted to grow him out and see if his bout with parvo would
impact on his future health status, to determine if he was a suitable
candidate for placement.  I did not want to take a chance that his brush with
death might later result in any health problems and undue heartache on a
potential new owner. He's small, his growth seems to have been stunted by the
illness, but at this point he certainly seems to be healthy and hardy and
mentally well-adjusted. He is *still* here with us because a suitable home
for him has not materialized.

Euthanasia has never and will never be an option with this dog.  If he stays
here for the rest of his life, that will be just fine by me.  Oh, and I would
also like to add that I have not bred/whelped a litter here since that time,
because I was advised by a veterinarian friend of mine that it would be
safest to wait 2+ yrs to ensure the virus was no longer present in my
environment, even considering a thorough disinfecting procedure inside and
out when the incident occurred. (Presumably brought in by some folks who came
to look at puppies -- by their own admission had visited a puppy farm earlier
in the day, which of course they did not mention to me until they were ready
to walk out the door after visiting.)

Breeding for me is purely a labor of love and dedication to the breed. I
devote tons of money and tons of time to ensuring the long-term health and
welfare and a good public image of the breed -- in my own way. Those who feel
strongly about rescue are entitled to make their contribution to the breed in
their own way, but it simply is not right IMO to imply that those who don't
focus solely on rescue, or who don't focus more so on rescue than on breeding
and placing puppies appropriately, are somehow failing the breed or failing
dogs in general.  I still do my little part for rescue.  Perhaps it only
amounts to less than an hour of my time a week, but it is something.

I feel very strongly that I am not contributing to the pet overpopulation
problem, and I won't be held accountable for those who are by breeding
irresponsibly or by not assuming full responsibility for the ultimate
commitment to pet ownership. I am not the least bit ashamed to be breeding
dogs as I am and I don't feel guilty for not worrying more about what might
happen to all those unwanted and discarded dogs out there. I'm glad and
thankful and grateful that others are willing to take the task of rescue on,
but I think that should be a two-way street -- perhaps the
pro-rescue/anti-breeding folks ought to be grateful that people like my
husband and I are willing to take the task of breeding on. If I personally am
having any impact whatsoever on the pet overpopulation problem it is quite
conceivably in lessening the burden of unwanted pets on society.

Kelley