Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

----- Original Message -----
From: Ame McNair <ame63@hotmail.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

> darrell goolsbee <dgg@star-telegram.com wrote:
>

> >I was speaking in terms of conformation,

Darryl you have made a good point.   I have been thinking about this but not
from this angle:-)   I personally have been striving to create ways to
inform club members and others in the area about the breed standard.  Not to
necessarily tell them what is 'wrong' with their dogs.  But to assist them
when they become afflicted with the potato chip factor!   Educated buyers
often end up happy buyers.   Educate them on health issues, structural
issues, etc.  Knowing the right questions to ask in this area will hopefully
save some of the heartbreak that I often hear from people that have
purchased from a back yard breeder or farm breeder.   On the top of the
heartbreak list is hip displasia and bad or agressive tempermants.    On the
flip side if they decide to go with a rescue dog they will be better
prepared with knowledge about the breed - they will at the least know what
to expect.    I personally try to encourage people that are looking for a
companion to adopt a rescue dog. This gives these dogs a home and takes one
more puppy buyer away from the BYB.

Ame mentioned there was not the phenomenom in GA.  Well, I don't know about
the state as a whole, but in the Atlanta area,  unfortunately there is:(  We
have quite a few lama farms, etc. that breed for livestock guardian dogs.
These breedings are consider commodoties from what I understand after
speaking with a few of them.  Their top goal is not the breed's interest -
but if they can guard and if they can make them money.   I understand one of
the farm breeders has decided not to breed anymore after we provided her
with materials to review on what to consider when breeding a Pyr.   Besides
the farms we also have a number of bigger back yard breeders in the Atlanta
area.  In addition to the smaller back yard breeders.    I have seen
horrible coat types, bad tempermants, bad conformation, etc. etc. from these
byb.     The only true weapon is to educate the buyers, potential buyers,
and breeders.  Basically anybody that will listen!

My 2 cents...........:-)

Lara Spears