[PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

Lara, Darell, Kelly and all.
    Some really thought provoking discussion on resuce and breeding.  I
do think that Lara has the right idea about educaiton, but the rescue
situation has really gotten out of hand in our area.  I think our club
has had 10 rescue dogs in the past 2 months.  We have fostered 4 of
those dogs. It is a very frustrating thing when you spend hours talking
to prospective owners, rearrange your weekends so they can visit the
dogs and then they don't turn up.  This has happened over and over and
over again. After reading some of the messages, I realized that I have
put my own dogs second because of the rescue dogs.  I have been so busy
looking for homes for these rescue dogs that I have not mentioned to any
of the nice people who would make wonderful owners that we actually have
a very handsome, healthy young male with a wonderful temperament and
championship pedigree that we have decided does not fit into our
breeding program and would live a happier life as a beloved pet.  I
would love to find a good home for him, but I can keep him and there are
all those rescue dogs needing homes. It is a real problem.  We have not
had a litter of pups for two years and one reason is that there are so
many people breeding "livestock
guarding Pyrs" in our area.  The scary thing is that many of those dogs
have major health and temperament problems.  These owners simply think
of them as a "cash crop".  Here we are, having spent years and years
studying pedigrees and trying to figure out which dogs produce the best
in looks,  disposition as well as health and longevity., etc. feeling
as though we should not breed because of all these other dogs that  need
homes.  So, I do understand both points of view ....the need to help the
homeless dogs but also the need to pass on some of the outstanding
features of quality Pyrs. I wish there was an easy answer. Still there
is something to seeing a really sweet homeless dog go to a wonderful new
family.(thanks Kim :) )
Thanks for letting me vent some steam.
Charlotte