Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

darrell goolsbee <dgg@star-telegram.com wrote:

>I was speaking in terms of conformation, which is lousy, not behavior, as
>he is truly a gentleman. He is a small dog (25-26''), under the standard,
>is very light boned (75 lbs.) and has a black/brown/white face that makes
>me suspect he is a mix (Anatolian?).

Okay. He sounds kinda nice to me. Would that mine aspire to be a true
gentleman one day (he is getting there though!)

>Many (most?) rescues are not good specimens, in terms of conformation
and thus may not offer the public an accurate representation of what a Pyr
is supposed to be. They certainly can be adored pets and
ambassadors. But the question here is by making rescue a major priority, are
we failing to put the breed's "best foot forward" for the general public and
potential Pyr owners? Are we unwittingly helping to make the "farm Pyr" the
new public standard for the breed?

Of this I would not know- I don't always get an accurate picture of the Pyr
even on this list!(although it is one of THE best places to learn!) I do
agree that having a sound dog in health as well as temperament should be THE
goal and one that is not always reached. If I had to make a choice between
soundness of temperament and soundness of body, I personally would choose
temperament- luckily most of us don't have to choose. (Are we talking about
conformation only?) As for the "farm Pyr" do you mean backyard breeders,
puppymill breeders,etc.? I am sure that I am much more unaware of this
phenomenon in Georgia as the Pyr is not nearly as prevalent here as in the
"livestock" states- not that it doesn't happen, we just see less of it
(unfortunately it is on the rise...ugh) So we may see in another 10-20 years
what you are seeing now. It would be nice to think that everyone would know
the Pyr before getting one, and be able to get one from a truly responsible
breeder who has done temperament and health testing. I am too much of a
skeptic to believe that this will ever happen no matter how much of a "best
foot forward" the Pyr makes. Not because of the Pyr but because of human
nature.

>I'm certainly not saying we should not rescue, but just raising a point
>to consider.

And you make your point well and considerately and I very much appreciate
that!
                                     - Ame and Pushkin