Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: failure of Rescue

On 14 Mar 00, at 16:31, Jack Mowery wrote:

>  I think anyone who buys a dog, usually knows where they got
> it. We need something in place to make sure those breeders/sellers could
> be required to take them all back.

That's not really the case, at least here in NM.  Many people I talk
with tell me they got their pyr from some guy in Albuquerque or
Roswell or from some guy who was selling pups out of the back of his
pick-up..  They don't remember the name of the breeder, can barely
remember the town the dog came from.  There were no AKC papers with
the dog. " They really don't care if the dog is registered or not".
The few who do sell their dogs as AKC registered see nothing wrong
with their breeding practices and ethics.  Most are not receptive to
any information regarding the betterment of the breed.  They probably
are not even aware that there is a GPCA and are even less concerned
with any AKC legislation and certainly don't know of recent changes
in AKC guidelines and policy.

This type of breeder/seller producing dogs in our state would never
be affected by any type of legislation to curb/regulate breeding
practices and require breeders to take back dogs.  Most have some
type of livestock and see the puppies as a cash crop.  A quick 100
bucks in the pocket.

The best our club can hope to do is *educate the buying public.  We
have reached a few breeders and have talked with some who can't sell
their pups for even $100.  These type of breeders are more than a 50%
*majority in our state, not puppy millers who are selling to pet
stores who could be regulated.  The entire cycle seems so hopeless at
times.  How can we reach the buying and breeding public and how do we
deal with the endless rescues we see here in the Southwest??  I
imagine education is the key, but it's so very difficult to reach and
impress people.  We have even had approved rescue homes who are
waiting for a dog go out and buy a pup from just this type of
uncaring breeder.  Is legislation the key?  Or is a comprehensive
educational program sponsored and promoted by the AKC, other
registries and all breed clubs the answer?  Mass media does reach the
buying public.  Where would funding come from for such a project?

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico