Re(2): [PyrNet-L] RE: failure of Rescue

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
> Is legislation the key?  Or is a comprehensive
>educational program sponsored and promoted by the AKC, other
>registries and all breed clubs the answer?  Mass media does reach the
>buying public.  Where would funding come from for such a project?
Maybe the answer is "both." I agree that educating the buying public is
the bottom line. If there was no market for these animals, the
irresponsible breeding would at least be radically curtailed. But
legislation can help in some situations too. As to your last questions, I
don't know. Perhaps breed organizations and the AKC, etc. need to
designate a particular amount from registrations fees, dues, etc. to go
into an education fund specifically targeted to this purpose. It would not
generate huge dollar amounts but it would be a start. And perhaps we could
approach public radio and TV stations for public service announcements. I
love what the announcer does at Westminster each year to encourage people
to avoid pet stores and talk to reputable breeders, but this is of course
a drop in the bucket, and often preaching to the converted!
Ann W