[PyrNet-L] RE: failure of Rescue

Ken
I don't think a commercial product/name and chipping is required.  The
backyard breeder or the farm breeder won't do it, and people will never go
for the added expense (even the $12 cost of the chip itself, to say nothing
of the chipping fee).

The Forever Home name sounds lovely, and it is what my dogs (and us cats
too) have always known they had.  But we simply need a (god, I hate to
advocate the passage of more laws, but . . .) law, requiring that any
breeder/seller will be required to take back an animal or pay the cost of
re-homing/euthanizing.  I will admit that Belle was purchased from what
would be called a back-yard breeder.  But I know who I bought her from (a
co-worker).  I think anyone who buys a dog, usually knows where they got it.
We need something in place to make sure those breeders/sellers could be
required to take them all back.

Mandatory chipping could put a stop to dumping dogs, however.  Hereabouts
there is an annual drive for rabies shots every July.  Low cost vaccinations
and rabies tags are handled at the local fire station.  A scanner, supply of
injectable chips and registration forms would not have to significantly
boost the cost of vaccination.  A similar supply already exists at the
vet's, just automatically chip any unregistered dog or a puppy at its first
rabies shot.  Chipped dogs found dumped in the country could become the
financial responsibility of the last registered owner.

Put on your thinking caps people.  I know some of the brightest people on
earth inhabit this list.  After all, we are smart enough to be owned by
pyrs.

Jack Mowery and Belle (so when do I get my chip, daddy?) of the Amarillo
Mountains
and the cats (Sugar Cube, Saavik, and Fluffy-the vampire slayer)