[PyrNet-L] Old Pyrs

I have had Great Pyrenees for over ten years.  Unfortunately, up until now,
my Pyrs have had health problems and I lost Sekhet at age 7 and Aslan at age
8.

My Paddy is now almost nine years old and beginning to experience some
unusual (to me) health issues.  Can you seasoned Pyr owners enlighten me on
what to expect in Paddy's later years.

For example, he recently had a severe reaction to a staph infection.  He was
on Clavamox for over a month.  At that point his stomach could not tolerate
the drug any longer and he stopped eating.  He has lost a lot of weight.  He
went from 114 pounds down to 100 pounds.  He is now back up to 103 pounds but
his eating habits are becoming odd.  Paddy used to clean his plate at every
meal.  Now I am lucky to get him to eat 1 cup of food in the morning and 2
cups in the evening.

My vet (Dr. Karen Miller) and I are very concerned.  We have run all the
usual blood tests and they come back normal.  We have checked urine and
stool, again, normal.

He seems to be drinking a lot of water.  We checked for diabetes, negative.

Is he just "getting old" and experiencing the decline of his youth?

If any one can enlighten me on the care of elderly Pyrs I would be grateful.
I am so proud of Paddy.  He has been a good dog and companion and I am
concerned we may be overlooking something.

Thank you for your help.

Stephanie, TeaTime and Paddy the Pyr
pyrmom@aol.com