Re: [PyrNet-L] intro

Welcome, yes I agree, humans make the difference where animals are
concerned, and especially their behavior.  When I was dog grooming ( in
my younger days :-)  ) I had some bites, even with Knowing how to handle
dogs.  I consider that a different set of circumstances though, more of
an occupational hazard.

Most of what occurs now a days is just plain ignorance mixed with a whole
lot of foolish notions about animals, and plain bad attitude.  I hate
that people fail to acknowledge that dogs have feelings too, and a set of
social behaviors that keep them alive and get them through life, they
just don't have to be the same as ours.  Someone said that if their dog
so much as growled at their kid, they would consider that bad
disposition, and the dog would be gone?  How bizarre is that?  The animal
is supposed to put up with everything humans do ( children too ), and not
even utter a word of complaint?  I would be looking to see why the dog
felt he had to warn the child.  I think Tracy mentioned one where they
found a hole in the dogs ear?  I'm not sure if that is a different
version, or a separate incident, but there is one where when they
necropsied the dog after destroying it for biting, they found a pencil
driven through the ear into the brain, and it had evidently been there a
while before the poor dog actually bit the child.  History is loaded with
incidents where we humans kill our dogs ( other animals too ) before we
even take the time to find out why the dog behaved the way it did!
Usually the reason can be found!

Also. like the article said, what can be said of an attitude where you
call your dog Satan, Mad Dog, Killer, etc.  That says it all.  No loving
family member here.  Just there to protect , and if the dog screws up and
bites the wrong person, oh well, take it and kill it.  I thought it was
an interesting article to read, unfortunately as people become more
emotionally aggressive towards one another, I think we will see more of
it.  Dogs read us better than we do them, and most people don't even make
an attempt to understand animals.  The vast majority own dogs but don't
really love them enough to care about their emotional well being!  I.M.O.
 Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas