Re: [PyrNet-L] Middlenames? & a question

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:00:33 -0600 "Andy and Mary Hasper"
<ahasper@mmcable.com> writes:
> Does anyone on the list already have a cat & pyr that get along? or
> have any
> problems with them being together?
> any advice is appreciated *S*
> Thanks,
> Mary & the ever growing critter gang

Hi Mary!  Gypsy (12 month Pyr) gets along famously with my two cats.
They were introduced when Gypsy was about 11 weeks old, and the biggest
problem I had was with my older female cat.  She's totally psycho, and
wanted nothing to do with a playful pup that was bigger than she was.  In
fact, the cat seemed to subscribe to the "kill it before it breeds!"
philosophy.  The cat would hide under the bed, and attack the puppy at
every opportunity.  My other cat, a really laid back male, loved the
puppy but couldn't figure out how to play with her.  I've had cats and
dogs together for most of my life, and usually it's best to let them work
out their own differences.  Even dogs that will chase a cat outside seem
to have respect for other "family" members.  With more than one dog I
would suggest introducing them one at a time, preferably with another
trusted adult in the room.  That way both animals could be comforted,
calmed, and/or reassured at the same time.  The dogs will quickly learn
that the kitten is part of the family, and they'll develop their own
relationship.  On her part, Gypsy loved the cats from the very beginning.
 We still have to watch that she doesn't play too rough with them and
correct her when necessary, but for the most part they are all best
buddies. The turning point for the female cat came when she was out in
the yard, and the neighbor's boxer tried to attack her through the fence.
 The cat ran - straight to Gypsy!  Gypsy ran to the fence and told the
boxer where to go, then came back and gently nuzzled the psycho witch as
if to make sure she was all right.  The cat then rubbed against her legs,
and now they take turns tucking each other in at night.  It's really
strange.  And you should see the Pyr and the male cat trying to play tug
of war!  She's very careful to shake the rope ever so gently, and still
he goes flying!  Or he'll bring her one of his little stuffed mice, and
she'll pick it up and toss it for him to chase.  But you know, to this
day Gypsy's afraid of my husband's side of the bed!

Jeanne Bravin
GypsyunLTD@juno.com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.