Re: [PyrNet-L] ivermectin???

In a message dated 4/7/00 11:03:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Pacerized@aol.com writes:

<< Could anyone tell me if they've tried Biospot, and how it compares to
 Frontline? The cost is about 1/5 the amount of frontline.  >>

I personally do not like Biospot.  We have treated a lot of reactions to it
where I work.  Biospot actually is absorbed systemically and must be
processed by the liver and kidneys.  Advantage and frontline are absorbed
only by the glands in the skin.  Although a lot of owners use Biospot without
problems, I just am squeamish at the thought of pyrethrins going into the
bloodstream.

Merial has now put out a frontline dose for dogs 89-132lbs.  I use it and it
works wonderfully.  I have not seen a flea in 2 years!  The actual flea
control on frontline is 3 months, and tick control is 1 month.  I put it on
my dogs every other month from about mid march through early November.
Occasionally we will have cases at work of hair loss at the application site
of Frontline and advantage.  It is due to the alcohol base, and the hair
always grows back.

I know several people who use Ivomec (cattle injectable) orally as Heartworm
preventative with great success.  They mix it with a Pyrantel wormer (such as
Strongid-T) to also control intestinal parasites.  Basically that's the same
thing as Heartgard Plus.  I use the Interceptor pills on all of my dogs
because they also control whipworms.  I have a Brittany who is very
susceptible to whips, and I have to treat him with fenbendazole from time to
time.  I use Heartgard Plus on the cats, and it works well too.

Hope this helped!

Melissa