[PyrNet-L] Cruciate surgery - TPLO procedure

Last October, my two year old bitch, Ariege, ruptured her cruciate ligament and had surgery to replace it. Just when she was getting back to normal, she started limping heavily - and a trip to the vet showed that the ligament had ruptured again. We had played it absolutely by the rules - she had been confined to a small pen for three months - short walks on a leash etc., etc., - so this was all very disappointing. On Wednesday last, she had the TPLO procedure, where a plate was applied to the knee, instead of relacing the ligament. The recovery time is to be a year, with very specific instructions for walking, confinement and so on and so on......... The first six months are going to be very trying and onerous for both Ariege and me! Already, this lively girl is getting rather bolshy - now that the pain is subsiding - and she finds herself confined yet again.

  Has anyone out there had this procedure performed on a pyr? I would be most interested to learn more about the recovery - and also how successful the surgery was.

Geraldine

Geraldine Swierzy
SheepRiver Great Pyrenees
Alberta, Canada.