Re: [PyrNet-L] GPCA

EFPico@gateway.net wrote:

> I receive all this information free on the Internet and by participating in
> the different chat groups to which I belong. IMHO, I believe that I can keep
> my pup healthy by finding and working with a good vet and he is a good
> representative of the breed due mostly to the excellent breeding stock and
> breeders he came from.

    Just because a dog is from excellent stock and good breeders doesn't necessarily mean it's a good representative of the breed.  I'm sure yours is if you say he is but we must remember, there are always exceptions and "not-so-great" dogs can result from great dogs.  I'm not saying this about your dog imparticular but we are speaking in general here and why we should or shouldn't "want" to be a member of the Club/subscribe to the Bulletin.
    Are his breeders members?

> I am impressed by the regional clubs and their efforts. It was through PFNE
> that I learned of the show where I met Picos breeder. I just found it ironic
> that right after the email posted regarding the membership policies, another
> one was posted stating that while you may not be able to join the GPCA, the
> GPCA would be more than happy to take your money for their newsletter. I
> prefer my money to support an organization where I am welcome to take part,
> not just provide a subsidy. My opinion, take it or leave it.

    I'm not yet a member either but do know many wonderful members who are willing to support me when the time comes.  I realize that it might be "easier" in the eyes of the everyday pet owner, if everyone was accepted immediately and then if after being educated they still acted in a manner contrary to what was best, they were thrown out.  But how would that really work?  I know that there are some "already" members that probably aren't the best, but the reason for the restrictions in the beginning is to try to minimize this.
    It seems to me that you are taking this rather personally.  If you are really concerned with having knowledge of the breed, etc. you would be more than willing to put up with some of the "beginner stuff" and get to know some of the nicer people.  Then, before you know it you'd be a member and have a say in what goes on with the breed.

Chrissy
Rajah, Moses and Mollie
West Union, WV
dsmith@iolinc.net